Frank Arthur BELLAMY (1863–1936)
His older sister Miss Ada Maria BELLAMY (1856–1923)
St Mary Magdalen section: Row 4, Grave D69

Frank Bellamy



BORN FEB. 7, 1858 [actually 1857]
DIED MAY 26, 1925


BORN OCT. 17, 1864 [actually 1863].
DIED FEB 15, 1936.


See the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography for the full career of
Frank Arthur Bellamy, astronomer and philatelist

Frank Arthur Bellamy was born at 57 St John Street, Oxford on 17 October 1863 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 27 January 1864.

His older sister Ada Maria Bellamy was born at Albert Place, St Ebbe’s, Oxford on 7 February 1857 and baptised at Holy Trinity Church there on 17 May.

They were two of the children of Montague Bellamy and Zilpah Butwell:
see separate grave for more about their parents and other siblings.

Their father was a bookbinder, and at the time of the 1871 census Ada (15), who was still at school, and Frank (7) were at home in St John Street with their parents and four other siblings. By 1874 their father was described as a college butler as well as a bookbinder.

At the time of the 1881 census their father was a lodging-house keeper, living 44 Wellington Square with his wife and three of his children: Zilpah Marquitta (26), Ada Maria (23), and Frank (17), who was then at Magdalen College School.

In July 1881, just a few months before his eighteenth birthday, Frank was appointed Second Assistant at the Radcliffe Observatory, a position previously held by two of his older brothers.

Ada and Frank’s father Montague Bellamy died in 1882 at the age of 52. and their mother Zilpah Bellamy in 1887 at the age of 59, and both were buried in a different grave in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery. Frank, at the age of 22, became head of the household and had to look after his two older unmarried sisters Ada and Zilpah.

On 13 December 1890 a meeting to consider forming a “postage stamp collecting club or society in Oxford” was held in the Boys’ School Room at Gloucester Green, and the Jubilee Philatelic Association was formed on 27 January 1891, with Frank Bellamy as its Honorary Secretary and Treasurer: this merged into the Oxford Philatelic Society on 22 March 1892. Frank appears to have continued as Secretary and Treasurer of the Society until 1930, and by 1934 had taken up the role again.

At the time of the 1891 census Frank (27), who described himself as a tutor in meteorology, astronomy, and botany, was living at 4 St Bernard’s Road (which was then called St John’s Road) with his sisters Zilpah (38) and Ada Maria (33), who were both described as living on their own means. Also staying with him was his cousin Minnie Bellamy (19), and his sister-in-law Frances Mary Bellamy (32), the wife of Harry (28), who was a professional singer with the D’Oyly Carte Opera Company and currently lodging down in Penzance. Meanwhile Frank’s brother Montague and his wife Mary were living at 16 St Mary’s Road in east Oxford with their children.

Frank and Ada's mother Zilpah Bellamy died on 30 July 1892, and Frank became the head of the houshold.

In June 1893 Frank was promoted to First Assistant at the Radcliffe Observatory.

At the time of the 1901 census Frank Bellamy (37) was living at 4 St Bernard’s Road with his only surviving sister Ada (43). His niece Ethel Frances Butwell Bellamy (29), the daughter of his brother Montague, had also come to live with them.

They were all still there in 1911, and Ethel (39) was now working as an astronomical assistant at the Observatory. Meanwhile her sister Edith (26), who was to come and live with them later, was working as a draper's shop assistant in Winchester.

Frank Bellamy remained at 4 St Bernard’s Road until about 1915. He does not appear to be listed in Kelly's Directory for 1916/17.

His older sister Ada died at Cumnor in 1923 and was the first person buried in this grave:

† Miss Ada Maria Bellamy died at Chawley Farm in Cumnor at the age of 65 on 26 May 1923 and was buried in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 30 May (burial recorded in parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).

The grave is in the St Mary Magdalen section of the cemetery, where her parents had lived in the 1860s, and they may have reserved this plot at the same time as their own.

In 1925 Frank Bellamy donated his photographs of changing Oxford to the Oxford City Library. To see 150 of his photographs, go to Picture Oxon and search for "Bellamy".

By 1928 he was living at 28 Polstead Road, and by 1935 at 2 Winchester Road, both in north Oxford.

Frank Bellamy died in Oxford in 1936 and was buried with his older sister:

† Frank Arthur Bellamy died at 2 Winchester Road at the age of 72 on 15 February 1936 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 18 February (burial recorded in parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).

His wealth at death was £1577 10s. 5d.

Frank Bellamy's nieces

Miss Ethel Frances Butwell Bellamy (born 1881) and Miss Edith Winifred Bellamy (born 1884) were still living at 2 Winchester Road in 1947.

They then went to live in Weymouth. Edith died there on 15 June 1958 and her effects came to £146 18s.. 8d.; and Ethel died there on 7 December 1960, with her effects coming to £2139 10s. 6d.

For more information on Ethel, an astronomer who helped her uncle in the photographic survey of the sky and was granted an honorary M.A. by the University of Oxford on 30 January 1934, see her Wikipedia entry and her section under Frank Bellamy's entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography

Two other graves have additional information about the family
of Frank Arthur BELLAMY and his sister Ada Maria:

Their parents Montague & Zilpah BELLAMY and their sister Zilpah Marquitta BELLAMY

Their brother Montague Edward James Butwell BELLAMY

Bellamy ceremonyCeremony organized by the Oxford Philatelic Society at the grave of Frank Bellamy to mark the
eightieth anniversary of his death on 15 February 2016: see short film by That's Oxford TV



Please email
if you would like to add information

These biographies would not have been possible without the outstanding transcription services
provided by the Oxfordshire Family History Society

© Friends of St Sepulchre’s Cemetery 2012–2017