Henry Delacour de BRISAY (1831–1916)
His wife Mrs Jane Amelia de BRISAY, née Marrett (1828/9–1904)
Their eldest daughter Miss Jane Marguerite de BRISAY (1858–1923)
St Giles section: Row 4, Grave B25
Front partially obscured:
[REV. HENRY DELACOUR DE BRISAY, M.A., BORN] 5TH OF DECEMBER 1831
… SLEEP AUGUST 2ND 1916.
[AND HIS WIFE JANE AMELIA, DIED 1904]
JANE / MARGUERITE DE BRISAY / DIED 6TH OCTOBER 1923 / AGED 65 YEARS
Henry Delacour de Brisay was born at the parsonage at Brightwell Baldwin on 5 December 1831, the only son of the Revd John Theophilus de Brisay (born in Dublin in 1794) and his wife Harriette Frances Wilson (born in Guildford in 1790/1). He was baptised at Brightwell Baldwin, where his father was Rector, on 31 June 1832.
At the time of the 1841 census Henry (9) was living with his parents and his aunt, Miss Maria Wilson, at Rutland Street, Leicester.
The family presumably then moved to the Gloucester district, where Henry’s father John Theophilus de Brisay died on 25 September 1846.
At the time of the 1851 census Henry (19) was living with his widowed mother Henrietta (61) and her sister Miss Charlotte Wilson (64) at 57 Portland Street, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, and his future wife Jane Elizabeth Marrett (21), who was born on Jersey in the Channel Islands, was paying them a visit. A month after the census, on 14 May, Henry was matriculated at the University of Oxford from University College.
On 11 July 1854 in Richmond, Surrey, a year before he obtained his B.A., Henry Delacour de Brisay married Jane Elizabeth Marrett. They had four children:
- Jane Marguerite de Brisay (born in Barnes on 30 August 1858)
- Henry Lestock Delacour de Brisay (born in Barnes on 16 March 1860)
- Emily Maud de Brisay (born at Tettenhall, Staffordshire on 23 March 1863)
- Beatrice Mary de Brisay (born in Tettenhall, Staffordshire on 27 October 1865)
Henry’s mother Frances de Brisay died in Barnes on 12 November 1855, without seeing her grandchildren.
At the time of the 1861 census Henry Delacour de Brisay (29) was the Curate of Barnes, and lived at Barnes Lodge, Bridge Road with his wife Jane and his first two children. They had four servants: a footman, cook, nurse, and housemaid. By 1863 they had moved to Tettenhall in Staffordshire.
By 1871 de Brisay was a clergyman without cure of souls, living at Portwood, Great Malvern, with his wife Jane and two of his children: Henry (11) and Beatrice (5). His other daughters Jane (12) and Emily (8) were staying at the Manor House, Tettenhall with the family of Thomas Perry, J.P., a manufacturer of iron bedsteads employing 350 men.
In 1878 de Brisay’s only son, Henry Lestock Delacour de Brisay, was matriculated at the University of Oxford from New College at the age of 18.
In 1879 de Brisay was appointed the Diocesan Inspector of Schools for the Deanery of Oxford, and at the time of the 1881 census he was living with his wife at 11 Bradmore Road, and employed a cook and a housemaid. Their daughter Jane (22) and son Henry (21) were paying a visit on census night to the family of the farmer Charles Martin at East Bergholt, Suffolk, while Emily (18) and Beatrice (15) were at a boarding school at 39 Dyke Road, Brighton.
Their son Henry, who had obtained his B.A. in 1882, was appointed Curate of St Jude’s in South Kensington in 1886.
At the time of the 1891 census de Brisay (59) described himself as a Clerk in Holy Orders again, and was living at 11 Bradmore Road with his wife Jane (62) and three servants, who included a 14-year-old page-boy. Their daughter Jane (32) was paying a visit to Miss Mary Clementia Gordon in Marston on census night; and their son Henry (32) and daughter Beatrice (24) were staying at a boarding house at 36 Lexham Gardens, Kensington.
On 15 October 1891 at South Kensington, their son Henry Lestock Delacour de Brisay was married to Emily Mary Forrest, and the following announcement was inserted in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 24 October:
Oct. 15, at St. Jude’s, South Kensington, the Rev. Henry Lestock de la Cour de Brisay, M.A., Rector of Faldingworth-with Buslingthorpe, Lincolnshire, only son of the Rev. H. and Mrs. de Brisay, of Oxford, to Emily Mary, eldest daughter of the Very Rev. the Dean of Worcester and Mrs. Forrest, of St. Jude’s Vicarage, South Kensington.
On 2 August 1892 at St Giles’s Church, Oxford their second daughter Emily Maud de Brisay married James Bernard Baker, and the marriage was announced in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 6 August:
MARRIAGE OF MISS E. DE BRISAY.— On Tuesday afternoon, at St. Giles’s Church, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. J. Bernard Baker, only son of the Rev. James Baker, Chaplain of Winchester School, with Miss Emily Maud de Brisay, second daughter of the Rev. H. D. de Brisay, 11, Bradmore-road, Oxford. The service was choral, Dr. Roberts, of Magdalen College, presiding at the organ. There was a large congregation, and the church was decorated by Miss Ward. The officiating clergy were the Ven. Archdeacon Palmer, assisted by the Rev. [H.] L. de Brisay, Rector of Faldingworth, Lincolnshire, brother of the bride, and the Rev. H. J. Bidder, Vicar of St. Giles’s. The bridesmaids were Miss Beatrice Mary de Brisay (sister of the bride), Miss Agnes Baker (sister of the bridegroom), Miss Stubbs (daughter of the Bishop of Oxford), and Miss Bathurst. The presents were numerous and costly. The happy pair left for North Wales.
Five years later, in June 1897, their daughter Mrs Emily Maud Baker died, aged only 30.
On 3 December 1896 their third daughter Beatrice Mary de Brisay married William Priestley Barber, but the marriage does not appear to have taken place in England & Wales.
Their eldest daughter, Jane Marguerite de Brisay, who did not marry, was a sculptor and wax modeller, and exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1892/3.
At the time of the 1901 census Henry de Brisay (69), still a Clerk in Holy Orders, was living at 11 Bradmore Road with his wife Jane (72), his daughter Jane Marguerite (42), and one servant.
Mrs de Brisay died in 1904:
† Mrs Jane Amelia de Brisay, née Marrett, died at 11 Bradmore Road at the age of 75 in March 1904 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 25 March (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
At the time of the 1911 census Henry de Brisay (80) was living 11 Bradmore Road with his daughter Jane (52) and three servants. He died in 1916:
† Henry Delacour de Brisay died at 11 Bradmore Road at the age of 85 on 2 August 1916 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 4 August (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
His effects came to £15,244 15s. 11d., and his executors were his son the Revd Henry Lestock Delacour de Brisay, and his son-in-law Charles Bethune, Esq. His obituary appeared in the Oxford Journal Illustrated on 9 August 1916, p. 3c.
His unmarried daughter Jane died in Oxford in 1923 and was buried with her parents:
† Miss Jane Marguerite de Brisay died at 143 Banbury Road at the age of 65 on 6 October 1923 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 9 October (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
Her effects came to £10,148 19s. 10d.
The other two surviving children of Henry and Jane de Brisay
- Henry Lestock Delacour de Brisay (born 1860) and his wife Emily had two sons: Aubrey Cust Delacour de Brisay (born in Lincoln in 1895/6) and Robert Lestock de Brisay (born in Lincoln in 1898). Henry became the Rector of Northill in Bedfordshire, and at the time of the 1911 census was alone at the Rectory there, while his wife Emily and their son Robert (13) were staying at Hastings, and Aubrey (15) was boarding at Uppingham School. Henry’s home was at 2a Courtfield Gardens, Kensington at the time of his death at the age of 77 on 17 March 1937, but he died nearby at 3 Courtfield Gardens. He was buried in Kensington Cemetery, and his effects came to £11,553 8s. Both his sons joined the army: Aubrey rose to the rank of Captain, and Robert to Lieutenant-Colonel.
- Beatrice Mary de Brisay (born 1865), Mrs Barber, married her second husband Charles Fitzwalter Bethune, who was involved in the Guyana sugar industry Beatrice died at Holcombe, Moretonhampstead, Devon on 14 June 1921, and her effects came to £3,019 5s. 3d; and her second husband died on 19 August 1945. Both are buried in St Andrew’s churchyard, Moretonhampstead (grave ref. G072).