Mrs Ann Sarah JEPHSON, née Armroid (1796–1878)
Her third daughter Miss Mary JEPHSON (1823–1892)
Her fifth daughter Miss Sarah (known as Norah) JEPHSON (1832–1899)
Her seventh daughter Miss Prudence Armroid JEPHSON (1839–1897)
St Giles [Ss Philip & James] section: Row 53, Graves P38 and P39

Ann Jephson and daughters

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
ANN SARAH JEPHSON,
GUNFIELD, NORHAM GARDENS, OXFORD
WIDOW OF THE 
REV. W. JEPHSON, M.A.

FOR FORTY YEARS MASTER OF THE
GRAMMAR SCHOOL CAMBERWELL SURREY
BORN DEC. 17, 1796,
DIED JUNE 25, 1878

THOU SHALT COME TO THY GRAVE
IN A FULL AGE LIKE AS A SHOCK OF CORN
COMETH IN IN HIS SEASON

 

ALSO IN LOVING MEMORY OF
PRUDENCE ARMROID JEPHSON
BORN FEB. 18, 1839,
DIED JUNE 3, 1897

BLESSED ARE THE DEAD WHICH DIE
IN THE LORD FROM HENCEFORTH,
YEA SAITH THE SPIRIT, THAT
THEY MAY REST FROM THEIR LABOURS;
AND THEIR WORKS DO FOLLOW THEM

.

This is the central cross (P38) of three standing on graves on a triple plot containing five female members of the Jephson family.

 

The grave to the left of this one (P39) is shown below

 

The grave to the right of this one (P37) is that of Mrs Jephson’s daughter-in-law Mrs Emma Jephson, née Pigot (1810–1879):
details here

 

 

 

Mary Jephson

 

Grave P39 to the left has lost its cross.

 

On the front is an inscription to Mary Jephson, the third daughter:

IN
LOVING MEMORY OF
MARY 3RD DAUGHTER OF
THE REV. W. JEPHSON M.A.
OF CAMBERWELL
BORN JANUARY 5, 1823,
DIED JANUARY 26, 1892.

BLESSED ARE THE DEAD WHICH DIE IN THE LORD FROM HENCEFORTH." REV: XIV. 13.

“IN LA SUA VOLONTADE E NOSTRA PACE” DANTE PARADISO CANTO 3

 

Sarah Jephson

 

On the side of Mary’s grave is an inscription (left) to Sarah Jephson (who was known as Norah), the fifth daughter and the last of the sisters to die:

 

ALSO OF
SARAH
5TH DAUGHTER OF
THE REV. W. JEPHSON M.A.
OF CAMBERWELL
BORN JULY 6TH 1832,
DIED DECEMBER 31ST 1899

“BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART FOR
THEY SHALL SEE GOD”

Ann Sarah Armroid was born in Shadwell, Middlesex on 17 December 1796. She was described in the Gentleman’s Magazine as being of Camberwell in Surrey when on 31 March 1817 she married the Revd William Jephson, who in 1803 (after gaining his M.A. at St John’s College, Cambridge and being ordained) had succeeded his father Thomas as Headmaster of Wilson’s Grammar School in Camberwell, a post he was to hold for almost forty years.

William and Ann Jephson had twelve children:

  • William Jephson (born in Camberwell in 1818 and baptised at St Giles’s Church there on 6 December)
  • Anne Maria Jephson (born in Camberwell on 15 March 1820 and baptised at St Giles’s Church there on 28 April)
  • Jane Jephson (born in Camberwell in 1821/2)
  • Mary Jephson (born in Camberwell on 5 January 1823 and baptised at St Giles’s Church there on 31 January)
  • Thomas Jephson (born in Camberwell in 1824 and baptised at St Giles’s Church there on 18 June)
  • Alexander Jephson (born in Camberwell on 28 December 1826 and baptised at St Giles’s Church there on 31 January 1827; probably died in childhood)
  • John Hilton Jephson (born in Camberwell in 1828)
  • Elizabeth Lee Jephson (born in Camberwell on 24 December 1829 and baptised at St Giles’s Church there on 20 March 1830)
  • Sarah Jephson, known as Norah (born in Camberwell on 6 July 1832 and baptised at St Giles’s Church there on 15 August)
  • Herbert Alexander Jephson (born in Camberwell on 23 June 1835 and baptised at St Giles’s Church there on 27 February 1836)
  • Alexina Jephson (born in Camberwell on 7 February 1837 and baptised at St Giles’s Church there on 1 November)
  • Prudence Armroid Jephson (born in Camberwell on 18 February 1839 and baptised at St Giles’s Church there on 9 August).

At the time of the 1841 census, William and Ann Jephson were living at Camberwell with nine of their children (with Thomas, Alexander, and Elizabeth the three not at home). By the following year, however, William Jephson had gone blind and had to resign as headmaster.

The family’s first obvious contact with Oxford was when two of their sons (who both became clergymen) were matriculated at the University of Oxford on the same day (11 March 1847): John Hilton Jephson was matriculated from Magdalen Hall at the age of 18, while William Jephson junior (who had already had obtained his B.A. in 1841 at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge) was admitted “ad eundem” at the age of 28.

† William Jephson senior died at Kenton Lodge, Harrow on 16 July 1848 (will available in National Archives).

At the time of the 1851 census his widow Mrs Anne Sophia Jephson was living at Hanworth House near Staines in Middlesex, in the home of her husband’s unmarried brother the Revd Thomas Jephson (66) and his his widowed sister Mrs Martha Spyers, who acted as his housekeeper. (He had had a promising career at Cambridge, but this had been destroyed back in May 1823, when he had been accused of an “unnatural offence” against a young gravel-digger and tried at the Cambridge Assizes: the case could not be proved and so he was found not guilty, but he was not allowed thereafter to hold any office in the University of Cambridge or live in St John’s College, although he retained his Fellowship there.) Five of Mrs Jephson’s daughters were still living with her and their uncle at Hanworth House: Jane (29), Mary (28), Sarah (18), Alexina (14), and Prudence (12). The other six surviving children were dispersed as follows: William junior (32) was married (see foot of this page); Anne (30) was visiting the McGowans in Kensington; John (22) was a student at Magdalen Hall, Oxford, lodging at 80 Holywell Street; Elizabeth (20) was staying with the Fotheringhams in Torquay and Herbert (15) was a pupil at the Hurst Middle School at Hurstpierpoint in Sussex. Thomas (28) is hard to find and may have been abroad;

† Miss Anne Maria Jephson died in 1854 at the age of 34 in her uncle’s house in Hanworth, and was buried there on 30 May: she was the first of the seven sisters to die.

The first of the two sisters who married was Miss Elizabeth Lee Jephson, who married Philip William Flower in the Totnes district in the third quarter of 1859. He was an East India merchant twenty years her senior, and she took on his seven young children and went on to have eight more of her own: ?Lewis Flower (1860), another son (1862), Ethel Jephson Flower (1863, died same year), Percy Jephson Flower (1864), Hilda Jephson Flower (1865), Alexander Jephson Flower (1867), Evelyn Jephson Flower (1868), and Lionel Jephson Flower (1870). They were living at St Leonard’s on Sea in 1861.

In 1861, Mrs Anne Sophia Jephson and her five surviving unmarried daughters — Jane (39), Mary (38), Sarah (28), Alexina (24), and Prudence (22) — were still living at Hanworth with their uncle Thomas Jephson. His sister Mrs Spyers died there in 1863, and he died within the year on 6 January 1864. His will was proved by his nephew Thomas Spyers, and his effects came to less than £3,000.

Jane Jephson died near the beginning of 1869 in the Chelsea district: she was the second of the seven sisters to die.

By 1869 Mrs Jephson appears to have moved with her surviving four unmarried daughters to Oxford, as Miss Sarah/Norah Jephson is reported that year as singing with the Oxford Philharmonic Society.

The family initially lived at The Crescent, Park Town. At the time of the 1871 census Miss Mary Jephson (48) and Miss Sarah Jephson (38), were at home in the Crescent with two servants. Mrs Jephson (79) and her youngest daughter Prudence (32) were paying a visit to Elizabeth Fotheringham in Balham Road, Streatham, and her other unmarried daughter, Alexina (34) was staying with her married sister Elizabeth Flower and her husband Philip Flower, who were living in style at Furze Down, Streatham with eleven servants (a governess; two footmen; a cook, scullery maid, and two housemaids; a nurse and two under-nurses; and a lady’s maid). Within the year, however, Philip William Flower died at the age of 62 (reg. Wandsworth first quarter of 1872).

19 Norham Gardens

 

In 1877 Mrs Jephson’s third daughter, Mary Jephson, became the first leaseholder of 19 Norham Gardens, Oxford, a mansion which she called Gunfield, and her mother and some of her sisters came to live with her.

 

 

 

Right: 19 Norham Gardens, photographed by Jacqueline Banerjee in 2008. By 1901 it had become part of Lady Margaret Hall, and is now an accommodation block of St Edmund Hall.

For a description of the house, see The Victorian web

 

 

Mrs Jephson died in 1878, and was the first member of the family to be buried in the triple plot in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery:

† Mrs Ann Sarah Jephson died at 19 Norham Gardens at the age of 81 on 25 June 1878, and was buried in the treble plot reserved for the family at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 19 June (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).

Her death was announced thus in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 29 June 1878:

June 25, at Gunfield, Norham Gardens, Oxford, Ann Sarah, widow of the Rev. William Jephson, M.A., formerly Master of the Royal Grammar School, Camberwell, Surrey, aged 81.

Her four surviving unmarried daughters Mary, Sarah, Alexina, and Prudence were joint executrices, and her effects came to nearly £600.

Between 1871 and 1879 it appears that their brother John Hilton Jephson and his wife Emma came to live at 19 Norham Gardens with his sisters. Emma died there in 1879 (see separate grave).

In the first quarter of 1881 Mrs Jephson’s sixth daughter, Alexina Jephson, was married to Harry Webb in the Totnes district: she was 44, and he was 21.

At the time of the 1881 census, Miss Mary Jephson (58), the eldest of the spinster sisters who came to Oxford, was the head of the household at 19 Norham Gardens, with her income derived from houses and land. Living with her were her widowed brother John Hilton Jephson (53) and her unmarried sisters Norah (48) and Prudence (42), both described as annuitants. They had six servants: a cook, butler, lady’s maid, housemaid, kitchenmaid, and under-housemaid. Their widowed sister Mrs Elizabeth Flower, who was soon to come and live with them, is hard to find in 1881; her son Percy (16) was at Eton, and her son Cyril (14), who was deaf and dumb, was boarding with a London doctor.

On 22 October 1881 Jackson’s Oxford Journal reported on a case in the Oxford City Police Court: Alfred Walker, a fish hawker and “inveterate drunkard” of Eagle & Child Yard was charged with smashing a window at 19 Norham Gardens at 8 p.m. on Thursday 13 October 1881 in order to force his wife to come home with him. Miss Jephson had been looking after his wife and children in her home since the Mayor had made a judicial separation on the previous Tuesday.

By the time of the 1891 census Miss Mary Jephson (68) was sharing her house with three of her younger sisters: Miss Norah/Sarah Jephson (58); the widowed Mrs Elizabeth Flower (61); and Miss Prudence Jephson (52), as well as her niece Miss Bertha Jephson (32), the daughter of her brother William. They now had an impressive array of eight servants in the house: a butler, cook, lady’s maid, housemaid, under-housemaid, kitchenmaid, scullery maid, and a 13-year-old page.

Mary Jephson died at Gunfield in 1892:

† Miss Mary Jephson died at 19 Norham Gardens on 26 January 1892 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 30 January in a plot adjacent to that of her mother (burial recorded in the parish register of both St Giles’s and Ss Philip & James’s Church).

The following report on her funeral appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 6 February 1892:

FUNERAL OF MISS MARY JEPHSON. — The interment of the remains of this esteemed lady, whose death occurred on Tuesday, the 26th ult., at her residence, “Gunfield,” Norham Gardens, Oxford, took place on Saturday last, at St. Sepulchre’s Cemetery, Walton-street, in a newly constructed grave, [which,] in accordance with her wish, was of an unostentatious character. For many years Miss Jephson was widely known for her great liberality and benevolence, more especially in the parish of St. Thomas, where the crèche was carried on under her control. The coffin, which was covered with violet cloth, and had silver mountings, had placed upon it several beautiful garlands, and it was borne to the cemetery in a funeral car; the cortège comprised three mourning carriages and several broughams. The body was met at the gates by the Rev. E. C. Dermer, Vicar of SS. Philip and James, Rev. J. Brown, curate, and the Rev. A. W. Jephson, Vicar of St. John’s, Waterloo-road, London, nephew of the deceased; the first portion of the Burial Service was said by the Rev. E. C. Dermer in the chapel, and the Revd. A. W. Jephson concluded the ceremony at the grave. The mourners were — First carriage, Miss S. [Sarah/Norah] Jephson, Miss P. [Prudence] Jephson, Mrs. Flower [Elizabeth Jephson], and Mrs. Webb [Alexina Jephson]; second carriage, Miss B. [Bertha] Jephson, Miss Collins, and Mr. Digby Jephson; third carriage, Mr. Webb and Miss Draper. Wreaths, crosses, and other floral tributes of affectionate regard were sent by Mrs. Bayley, the Misses Gaddesden, Mrs. Wood, Mr. and Mrs. Webb, Mrs. Bosworth, Miss Lydiard, Mrs. Lange, Miss E. Harriott, Mrs. Cotes, Mrs. and Miss Weld, Miss Hunt, Mrs. Du Pré, Mr. and Mrs. Moore, Mrs. and Miss Hyde, Mrs. Henry and the Misses Venables, Miss Farmer, Miss F. Lloyd, Miss Pigot, Miss Bertha Jephson, Miss Collins, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Edwards, Miss Draper, Mr. and Mrs. Woodley, Mrs. Rutherford Smith, and Miss Desborough, together with the coachman and his wife. By special request of the deceased her four surviving sisters sent their floral tributes in the shape of pot and cut flowers (for the benefit of the invalids) to the Radcliffe Infirmary. A silver and nickel plate on the coffin bore the following inscription:—

MARY JEPHSON,
Born, January 5th, 1823.
Died, January 26th, 1892.

The arrangements of the funeral were entrusted to the case of Messrs. Elliston and Cavell, Magdalen-street.

“Barbara Bocardo” (“An Oxford Lady”) added this tribute in the following week’s edition:

DEATH OF MISS JEPHSON.
The loss of Miss Jephson will be felt by all classes in Oxford. She and her sisters who have passed away before her devoted the greater part of their income, and what is of more real value, their own lives, to the good of their fellow creatures. Such devoted women are amongst the brightest and most inspiriting characters in our Christian civilisation, and words are inadequate to give an impression of the void which their absence leaves in our midst.

Jephson creche

 

 

Mary’s will was proved by Joseph Edward Moore, Esq. and Harry Webb solicitor, and her effects came to £12,686 7s. 6d., far more than her mother’s.

 

She left a legacy which enabled a crèche and invalid kitchen for working mothers to be opened in 1893 in the poorer west part of Oxford (on the corner of Woodbine Place and Osney Lane, right).

Prudence Jephson died in 1897:

† Miss Prudence Armroid Jephson died at 19 Norham Gardens on 3 June 1897 at the age of 58 and was buried in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery (burial recorded in the parish register St Giles’s Church).

Her death was announced thus in The Times of 5 June:

JEPHSON — On the 3rd inst., at Gunfield, Norham-gardens, Oxford, PRUDENCE ARMROID JEPHSON, youngest child of the late Rev. W. Jephson, Head Master of the Grammar School, Camberwell, aged 58 years.

Prudence’s will was proved by the same executors used by her sister, and her effects came to £6,813 1s. 8d.

Sarah Jephson, known as Norah, was the last sister to die, in 1899:

† Miss Norah (or Sarah) Jephson died at Landor House, Winchester (the home of her brother-in-law) at the age of 66 on 31 December 1899 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 4 January 1900 (burial recorded in the parish register of both St Giles’s and Ss Philip & James’s Church).

The following brief obituary and funeral report appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 6 January 1900:

DEATH AND FUNERAL OF MISS NORAH JEPHSON. — In the death of Miss Norah Jephson, of “Gunfield,” 19, Norham-gardens, the charitable institutions of the city have lost a generous supporter, and the poor a warm friend. Blessed with ample means, the deceased lady devoted her life to philanthropic and benevolent work, in which she took a keen interest, and was always ready to help with her advice and purse any good cause. She had been in failing health for some time and her death occurred on Sunday at the residence of her brother-in-law, at Winchester. The funeral took place on Thursday at St. Sepulchre’s Cemetery, and although the weather was dull, cold and uninviting there was a large gathering in the church and at the graveside, testifying to the esteem in which the departed was held. The body, which was enclosed in a coffin covered with purple cloth with silver furniture, was brought to Oxford on Thursday morning, and conveyed in an open oak hearse to SS. Philip and James’ Church, where the first part of the burial service was read. Among those present were the Revs. W. M. Merry, T. H. Birley, J. Arkell, and H. J. Bidder, Professor Morfill, and Mrs. Inge, and Mrs. Hutching represented the Girls’ Friendly Society. The service (choral) was conducted by the Revs. A. W. Jephson, Vicar of St. John’s, Walworth (nephew), and W. Slater (curate). The mourners were Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Moore (niece), Rev. A. W. and Mrs. Jephson (nephew), Mr. Digby L. A. Jephson (great nephew), Miss Bertha Jephson (niece), Mr. Harry Webb (brother-in-law), Rev. Henry Jephson (Welwyn, Herts), Miss Draper, Miss Lydiard, Miss Stevens, and the old or former servants at “Gunfield.” Hymns 400 and 401 (A. and M.) were sung and while the coffin was being borne again to the hearse the Nunc Dimittis was sung. At the cemetery the committal prayers were read by the Rev. A. W. Jephson, and the coffin was deposited in the moss and flower-lined grave containing the remains of the deceased’s sister. It bore a large silver cross, and at the foot on a square silver plate was the following inscription:—

NORAH JEPHSON,
Born 6th January, 1832;
Died 31st December, 1899.

There was a large number of beautiful wreaths and other floral emblems, the senders including Mrs. Rutherford Smith, Miss Desborough, Mrs. Luge, Mr. and Mrs. Moore and family, Dyffryn Neath, South Wales, Mrs Gwyn, Dyffryn Neath, Mrs. [Alexina] Webb (sister), the Church Army and poor people of St. Ebbe’s, Mrs. H. Ingles Webb, Mrs. Henry Ramus du Pré, Mrs. Villiers Smith, Miss F. Ladesder, Miss M. A. B. Marshall, Miss Hunt, “F.L.”, “H.C.”, A. Stevens, and the Servants at “Gunfield” and Landor House. The funeral arrangements were in charge of Messrs. Elliston and Cavell.

Sarah/Norah was the last of the philanthropic Miss Jephsons. She used the same executors as her sisters, and her effects came to £10,324 8s. 8d. She left 19 Norham Gardens to Lady Margaret Hall under her will, and in a legal assent document received on 10 July 1900, her executors (Harry Webb Solicitors of Winchester and Joseph Edward Moore of Dyffryn Neath, South Wales) give assent to the bequest of the leasehold land and premises called or known as Gunfield to her friend Elizabeth Wordsworth of Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford for the use of the Hall. (Elizabeth Wordsworth (1840–1932) was the first Principal of Lady Margaret Hall from 1879 to 1909.)


The six remaining Jephson siblings
  • William Jephson (born 1818) started off his career as a master at Harrow School. By the time of the 1851 census he was the Curate of St John the Evangelist, Westminster, and living with his wife Elizabeth and his children Cuthbert (5), Alban (3), and Oswald (1) and his mother-in-law Mary Joyner, plus four servants, at 14 Millbank Row, Westminster. He was Rector of Hinton Waldrist in Berkshire from 1853 to 1880, and at the time of the 1861 census he was living at the Rectory, Hinton Waldrist, with his wife and his seven youngest children: Oswald (11), Edith (9), Arthur (8), Hubert (6), Cyril (4), Bertha (3), and Maynard (1). He was also Inspector of Schools for the Oxford diocese from 1856 to 1876. He was Chaplain at Geneva from 1877 to 1881. He was living in Haute Savoie, France in 1895, and died in Geneva at the age of 87 on 23 May 1905. His son Cuthbert Armroid Jephson married Emily Josephine Cotes in Taunton in 1870, and their son Digby Loder Armroid Jephson (1871–1926), who dutifully attended the funerals in Oxford of at least two of his great-aunts, became a famous cricketer who played both for the University of Cambridge and Surrey.
  • Thomas Jephson (born 1824) emigrated to Australia, arriving at Port Jackson in New South Wales on 28 September 1839. In 1854 he married Letitia Arabin, an Irish governess, and they settled in Queensland. They had two sons who died in childhood: William (1854–1857) and Edward (1858–1865). Despite owning about 40,000 acres, Thomas Jephson started to have money problems, so his wife Letitia established a school in Brisbane in 1860. He was bankrupt by 1867, and died in 1870 at the age of 45. His widow ran a boarding house in Brisbane, and died in about 1912.
  • John Hilton Jephson (born 1828): see the grave of his wife Mrs Emma Jephson for his further biography.
  • Elizabeth Lee Jephson (Mrs Flower), who was widowed in 1872, was living with her sisters at 19 Norham Gardens in 1891. After their death she went to live with her unmarried son Percy, who was a farmer in Banbury. At the time of the 1901 census Elizabeth (71) and Percy (36) were living at Upper Lea, Swalcliffe with four servants. Elizabeth died in the Banbury district at the age of 79 near the end of 1909.
  • Herbert Alexander Jephson (born 1836), who was a schoolboy of 15 at the time of the 1851 census, emigrated to Australia shortly afterwards, probably to join his older brother Thomas, who had a property in the Castlemaine area. He too must have got into financial difficulties, as he was working as a labourer when at the age of 54 he drowned near Castlemaine in 1890, when his cart overturned in the fast-moving Serpentine Creek.
  • Alexina Jephson (Mrs Webb) (born 1837) did not marry until she was aged 44 and had no children. At the time of the 1901 census Alexina (64) was living at Landor House in Winchester with her husband Harry Webb (41), who was a solicitor, and their four servants. They are hard to find after that date.

The Jephsons and Camberwell Grammar School

Taken from A brief account of the parish of Camberwell, its history and antiquities

THE JEPHSONS. The Jephson family have long been associated with the parish of Camberwell, more particularly as connected with the Free Grammar School. The first of the family to settle in Camberwell was Alexander Jephson, Fellow of Trinity College, Dublin, who was compelled to escape from Ireland in the days of Tyrconnel, after having preached a sermon on Deborah and Barak on the landing of William and Mary. The sermon was interpreted as seditious, and he would have been imprisoned by the lord lieutenant if he had not escaped to England. He became master of the Grammar School at Ratcliffe, and from, thence, with seventy boys, removed to Camberwell School in the year 1700. He was rector of Bellhouse, in Essex, and was succeeded in his school by his son William, who was a Fellow of St. John’s College, Cambridge, and rector of Little Hormead, Herts.

He was succeeded by his son Thomas Jephson, who took his degree at St. John’s College, Cambridge, in honours, but never took holy orders, because when a boy he lost his leg, and he is stated to have conceived a strong opinion that a mutilated man should never be ordained. He was a very successful schoolmaster, and had a very large school. He always had a great desire to raise the number of his scholars to one hundred, but he never succeeded in getting beyond ninety-nine.

He was succeeded in the school by his son, the Rev. William Jephson, also of St. John’s College, Cambridge, who held the position of master in the school till 1842, when loss of sight compelled him to resign his position. A son of this gentleman is at present rector of Hinton, in Oxfordshire.

The Jephsons always took an active part in all local charities and institutions, and the Misses Jephson were the principal originators of the Camberwell Savings’ Bank.

FROM CHURCH REGISTER.

  • 1703. Ap. 3rd, bap., Ann, dau. of Mr. Alexander Jephson, master of ye Free Grammar School of Camberwell.
  • 1703. Sep. 8th, bur., Ann. dau. of Mr. Alexander Jephson, master of the Free Schoole.
  • 1704. Oct. 13, bap., & bur. 7th March, 1705, Thomas, son of Mr. Alexander Jephson, master of ye Free Grammar School.
  • 1705. Oct. 17th, bap., and bur. Oct. 25th, Henry and Jane, children of Mr. Alexander Jephson, master of the Free Grammar School. 1724. Aug. 28, bap., William, son of ye Revd Mr. William Jephson and Mary his wife.
  • 1736. July 30, bap., Mary, dau. of ye Rev. William Jephson and Mary his wife.
  • 1738. May 1, bap., Alexander, son of ye Reverend Mr. Wm. Jephson and Mary his wife.
  • 1739. Dec. 11th, bur., Mrs. Mary Jephson.
  • 1739. Dec. 11th, bap., Thomas, son of ye Revd. Mr. William Jephson, born Nov. 30th.
  • 1745. Aug. 9, bap., Catherine, dau. of ye Rev. Mr. William Jephson and Martha his wife.
  • 1761. July 6, bur., the Reverend Mr. Wm. Jephson, Master of the Free School of Camberwell.
  • 1762. Jan. 15, bur., Charles Jephson.
  • 1764. Jan. 30, bur., Elizabeth Jephson.
  • 1764. May 7, bur., Mrs. Mary Jephson.
  • 1768. Sept. 29, bap., Elizabeth, dau. of Mr. Thomas Jephson and Elizabeth his wife.
  • 1770. Ap. 25, bap., Thomas, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Jephson.
  • 1772. Mar., bap., Mary, dau. of Thomas and Elizabeth Jephson.
  • 1773. June 25, bap., and bur. 2 Sep.
  • 1773, Mary, dau. of Thomas and Elizabeth Jephson.
  • 1775. May 3, bap., William, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Jephson, born April 10th ,
  • 1778. May 13, bap., Sarah, dau. of Thomas and Elizabeth Jephson.
  • 1779. Feb. 2, buried, Prudence Jephson.
  • 1779. Nov. 19, bap., Alexander, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Jephson, buried Nov. 7, 1781.
  • 1780. June 3rd, bur., Thomas Jephson.
  • 1782. Feb. 27, bap., Martha, dau. of Thomas and Elizabeth Jephson.
  • 1784. June 4, bap., Thomas, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Jephson.

Jephson family The three Jephson graves


Facebook

Twitter

Please email stsepulchres@gmail.com
if you would like to add information


These biographies would not have been possible without the outstanding transcription services
provided by the Oxfordshire Family History Society

© Friends of St Sepulchre’s Cemetery 2012–2017