James Adey OGLE (1792–1857)
His aunt Mrs Mary FOUCART, née Ogle (1764/5–1858)
His daughter Miss Janet OGLE (1821–1890)
St Mary Magdalen section: Row 12, Grave D68
JAMES ADEY OGLE, M.D., REGIUS PROFESSOR OF MEDICINE, DIED SEP. 25, 1857 AGED 61
ALSO OF JANET HIS DAUGHTER, DIED OCT. 14, 1890 AGED 69
MARY FOUCART DIED JUNE 22, 1838 AGED 93
See the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography for the full career
of James Adey Ogle, Physician and Regius Professor of Medicine at Oxford
James Adey Ogle was born in London on 22 October 1792, the son of Richard Ogle, a general practitioner, and his wife Hannah Adey; an earlier child of theirs who was born and died in 1790 also bore that name. He had two younger siblings: Richard Ogle (born 1794) and Jane Ogle (born 1796).
He went up to Trinity College, Oxford from Eton in 1810 when he was 17, and graduated in 1813 with a First in Mathematics and Physics. He then pursued medical studies in several hospitals, and graduated from Oxford as a Bachelor of Medicine in 1817.
He remained in Oxford, obtaining a university licence in 1817 to practise medicine.
In 1819 he married Sarah Homfray, the younger daughter of Jeston Homfray of Broadwaters, near Kidderminster, and they had nine children:
- Janet Ogle (born in High Street, Oxford in 1821 and privately baptised by Thomas Lee, President of Trinity College, Oxford on 29 March, and entered in baptismal register of St Peter-in-the-East Church)
- Amelia Ogle (twin): born in High Street, Oxford in 1822, received into St Peter-in-the East Church on 20 June, and baptised by Thomas Lee, President of Trinity, on 21 September)
- Caroline Ogle (twin): see Amelia
- Mary Ogle (born in Oxford in 1823/4 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 27 June 1824)
- James Ambrose Ogle (born in Oxford in 1824/5 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 4 January 1825)
- Richard Jeston Ogle (born in Oxford in c.1826 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 23 October 1826)
- William Ogle (born in Oxford in 1827/8 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 30 March 1828)
- Octavius Ogle (born in Oxford in 1828/9 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 17 June 1829)
- Isabella Henrietta Ogle (born in Oxford in 1832 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 25 November 1832).
James Adey Ogle was initiated into the Apollo University Lodge of Freemasons on 18 October 1820 when he was aged 28.
He and his new wife were living at the east end of the High in the early 1820s, but then moved to Magdalen Street, probably in early 1824 when Ogle was appointed Aldrichian Professor of Medicine at Oxford and also Physician to both the Radcliffe Infirmary and the Radcliffe (or Warneford) Lunatic Asylum in Headington. (The resident apothecary at the latter, Frederick Wintle, must have held him in esteem, as he had his unfortunate son baptised as Ogle Wintle in 1834.)
Ogle’s practice was in St Giles’s Street, and he is first listed as a physician there in Pigot’s Directory for 1823/4; the house where he practised is specified as No. 63 in Robson’s Directory for 1839. He gave his lectures at this house (left, the house in the middle), which was later demolished with its adjoining neighbours to make way for Blackfriars.
In 1830 Ogle was appointed Professor of Clinical Medicine at Oxford.
In the 1830s Ogle and his family were still living in Magdalen Street, separately from his practice. His wife Sarah Ogle died there in 1835 at the age of 44 and was buried on in St Mary Magdalen churchyard on 25 May; and his father Richard Ogle died at the age of 79 early in 1841 (probably at his son’s house), and he too was buried in that churchyard.
At the time of the 1841 census Ogle (48), now a widower, was living at his Magdalen Street house with his son James (15) and his five daughters (Janet, Amelia, Caroline, Mary, and Isabella), looked after by four servants. His other three sons were all away at boarding school: Richard (14) was at Winchester; William (13) at Rugby; and Octavius (12) at Repton.
Around this time his medical practice at 63 St Giles’s Street spread to include No. 64 next door as well, and the family moved from Magdalen Street to live over No. 63. (The exact date is unclear, as this lower part of St Giles’s Street is also in the parish of St Mary Magdalen.)
In February 1846, when John Henry Newman left Oxford for ever, he wrote, “I called on Dr. Ogle, one of my very oldest friends, for he was my private tutor when I was an undergraduate.”
The first of Ogle’s five daughters to marry was Caroline:
- On 16 July 1850 at St Mary Magdalen Church, Oxford, Caroline Ogle married Manuel John Johnson, the Radcliffe Observer.
According to William Tuckwell, undergraduates declared that the four remaining Miss Ogles were the models for the four colossal female figures on top of the older part of the Taylorian building.
Ogle was living as well as working at 63 St Giles’s Street at the time of the 1851 census. Aged 58, he described himself as “Physician, M.D. Oxford, Fellow of College of Surgeons, Oxford”. Three of his unmarried daughters (Janet, Mary, and Isabella) were at home with him, and they had five house servants. His fourth unmarried daughter Amelia was staying with her married sister Caroline.
Five more of Ogle’s children were married in the 1850s :
- On 11 October 1853 at St Mary Magdalen Church, Oxford, Mary Ogle married the Revd Charles Walter Payne Crawfurd;
- On 16 January 1855 St Mary Magdalen Church, Oxford. Isabella Henrietta Ogle married the Revd Charles Terry;
- In the second quarter of 1856 at West Ashford in Kent. James Ambrose Ogle married Henrietta Agneta Pellew;
- On 10 July 1856 St Mary Magdalen Church, Oxford, Amelia Ogle married the Revd James Bowling Mozley;
- In the fourth quarter of 1858 in Newent, Gloucestershire, Octavius Ogle married Maud Harris Burland.
Janet Ogle, James Adey Ogle’s eldest daughter, was the only one of the five sisters who did not marry, and she probably kept house for her father, who had been a widower since 1835.
On 16 July 1851 his son the Revd Richard Jeston Ogle, an unmarried Fellow of Lincoln College, died at Winchester at the age of 26.
On 26 October 1851 Ogle was appointed Regius Professor of Medicine at Oxford.
Ogle died of apoplexy in 1857 while on a visit to his daughter Amelia and her husband the Revd James Mozley at Old Shoreham, and his body was brought back to Oxford for burial:
† James Adey Ogle died at the age of 64 on 25 September 1857 at Old Shoreham and was buried in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 2 October (burial recorded in parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).
The following obituary appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal for 3 October 1857:
Death of the Regius Professor of Medicine.
Intelligence reached Oxford on Saturday last of the death of James Adey Ogle, M.D., Regius and Aldrichian Professor of Medicine, Tomline’s Praelector and Aldrichian Professor of Anatomy and Clinical Professor. He expired at Old Shoreham, at the residence of his son-in-law, the Rev. J. B. Mozley, vicar of the parish, at seven o’clock on Friday morning, after an illness of thirty hours.
Dr. Ogle was a member of Trinity College, having entered that Society in the year 1809, under the Presidency of Dr. Lee. He was a Scholar of his College, but married before succeeding to a Fellowship. He took the degree of B.A. in 1813, when he was placed in the First Class in Disciplinis Mathematicis et Physicis, together with five others. In 1816 he proceeded to the degree of M.A., and in 1817, having turned his attention to medicine, he took the degree of B.M. In the year 1820 he became a D.M., and in 1824, on the resignation of Dr. Bourne, he was elected by Convocation to fill the Aldrichian Professor of Medicine. In 1825 he was for one term Mathematical Examiner. In 1830, on the demise of Dr. Bourne, he became Clynical Professor by the election of Convocation; and in 1851, upon the demise of Dr. Kidd, he was appointed by the Crown to the Regius Professorship of Medicine, to which were then attached the Aldrichian Professorship and the Tomline Readership in Anatomy. Finally, in 1854, shortly after the formation of the new School of Natural Science, he accepted the office of Examiner in that School, which he retained for the full term of two years.
Dr. Ogle was a man of liberal views, and of great depth and sincerity of feeling. He was singularly open, straightforward, and fearless, a most warm and zealous friend, and so full of kindness and good-nature that it was impossible he should make an enemy. From his practice, which was once extensive, he had in great measure withdrawn, but he continued to attend to old patients, and to dispense gratuitous advice to the poor and necessitous. In his profession his eminence is marked by the appointments conferred upon him. His loss is deeply felt, and will long be heavily deplored by a large circle of friends, to whom his genial disposition, warm feelings, and active kindness, had greatly endeared him. He was, we believe, in the 65th year of his age. — The funeral took place yesterday (Friday), and the remains of the deceased were interred at the Jericho Cemetery.
Ogle’s wealth at death was about £28,000.
At the time of the 1861 census his daughter Janet Ogle (40) was paying a visit to her sister Mary and her seven children at Bourton-on-the-Water, where Mary’s husband, the Revd Charles Walter Payne Crawfurd, was Curate.
In 1871 Janet (50) was visiting the Misses Ann and Elizabeth Mozley (probably relations of another of her brothers-in-law) at Barrow on Trent; and in 1881 she was visiting the Misses Maria and Fanny Mozley at 158 Uttoxeter New Road, St Werburgh.
Janet died in 1890:
† Miss Janet Ogle died at 16 Norham Gardens at the age of 69 on 14 October 1890 and she was buried in her father’s grave in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery 17 October (burial recorded in parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).
Mary Ogle was born in Trentham, Staffordshire in 1764, the daughter of Andrew Ogle and Jane Penson, and was baptised there on 23 November. She had two brothers: Richard Ogle (born 1761), who the father of James Adey Ogle above,and James Ogle (born 1763).
Her father died in 1787.
On 2 May 1816 at St James's Church, Westminster, Mary Ogle of St Margaret's parish, Westminster married Pierre Ambroise Foucart of St James parish, Westminster, but they do not appear to have had any children.
They originally lived in Switzerland, but by 1837 they had come back to England and settled in St Giles’s Street, Oxford. Pierre Foucart died there at the age of 76 in 1837 and was buried in St Giles’s churchyard on 14 August.
At the time of the 1841 census Mrs Foucart was living in Magdalen Street with two servants. Later that year she moved to 61 St Giles’s Street, just a few doors up from the Ogles.
At the time of the 1851 census Mrs Foucart (86) was living at 61 St Giles' Street with a house servant and a butler.
Mrs Foucart died in 1858, and was buried in the same grave as her nephew:
† Mrs Mary Foucart née Ogle died at 61 St Giles’s Street at the age of 93 on 22 June 1858 and was buried in the same grave as James Ogle on 29 June (burial recorded in the parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).
Her effects came to nearly £30,000, and probate was granted to her nephew Richard Ogle of 5 Paper Buildings, Temple, who was the residuary legatee.
The other surviving children of Professor James Adey Ogle
- Caroline Ogle, Mrs Johnson (born 1822): see separate grave
- Amelia Ogle, Mrs Mozley (born 1821/22): see separate grave
- Mary Ogle, Mrs Crawfurd (born 1823/4) was living in the Rectory House, Stow-on-the-Wold in 1861 with her husband Charles, who was the Curate of Bourton-on-the-Water, and their children Gibbs (6), Arabella (5), Caroline (4), Robert (3), Georgina (2), Charles (1), and Harriet (eight months). She was in East Grinstead in 1871 with her husband and eight of children: Arabella Payne Crawfurd (15), Caroline Payne Crawfurd (14), Robert Payne Crawfurd (13), Georgina Mary Payne Crawfurd (12), Harriet Byne Crawfurd (10), Proby E. P. Crawfurd (7), Lionel Payne Crawfurd (6), Raymond Henry Payne Crawfurd (5), and Janet P. Crawfurd (2). She and her husband were still there in 1881 and 1891 with four of their children. Mary died there in 8 May 1893 at the age of 69. Her executors were her sons Charles and Lionel, who had both been ordained.
- James Ambrose Ogle (born 1824/5) was Vicar of Sedgeford, Norfolk in 1861 and he and his wife Henrietta were living there with there three children Margreatt J. Ogle (born 1857), Richard J. Ogle (3), and Charles Pellew Ogle (eight months). They were still there in 1871 and had four more children: John Gilbert Ogle (born 1862), Frances Marian Ogle (born 1863), Gertrude Octavia Mary Ogle (born 1865), and Ambrose Addington Ogle (born 1866). Ogle remained Vicar of Sedgeford until at least 1891. James Ambrose Ogle died at Granard, Somers Road, Reigate at the age of 75 on 20 February 1900. His effects came to £71,271 18s. 9d., and his executors were his widow Henrietta and two of his sons: John, who was a doctor, and Ambrose, who was a schoolmaster.
- William Ogle (born 1827/8) was a physician in 1861, lodging in Westminster. By the time of the 1871 census he was a Civil Service Statistical Superintendant working in Somerset House, and he and his wife Parthenia were living at 34 Clarges Street in Westminster with three servants. They do not appear to have had any children. In 1881 they were living at 10 Gordon Street, St Pancras, and were still there in 1901, when William was retired. He died in St Pancras at the age of 84 in 1912.
- Octavius Ogle (born 1828/9) became a Fellow of Lincoln College. He and his wife Maud lived at 20 Park Town Crescent: their daughter Helen Maud Ogle was baptised at St Giles’s Church on 26 May 1860. Their other two daughters were baptised in the new Ss Philip & James Church: Muriel Lilian Ogle on 16 September 1864 and Lilian Alice Margaret Ogle on 25 April 1868. Lilian’s baptism was private, and she died five days later aged four weeks and was buried at St Giles’s Church on 21 September 1865. Helen married the surgeon Daniel Herbert Forty at SS Philip & James Church on 9 June 1881. The Revd Octavius Ogle was Chaplain of the Warneford Lunatic Asylum in Headington in his latter years. He died at 20 Park Crescent, Oxford at the age of 65 on 27 June 1894. His effects came to £13,185 14s. 1d.
- Isabella Henrietta Ogle, Mrs Terry (born 1832/3) was living at Old Hall, Tostock, Suffolk at the time of the 1861 census with her husband, Charles, who was Rector of Harleston, and their children Charles Terry (5), Caroline Terry (4), Isabel Terry (2), and Mabel Terry (1). They were still there in 1871 with seven more children: Walter Eyre Terry and Frances Eyre Terry (twins, 9), Douglas Terry (7), Eleanor Terry (5), Ernest Terry and Kathleen Terry (twins, 4), Mildred Terry (2), and Mary Evelyn Terry (four months). In 1881 they had three more children, bringing the total to 14: Geoffrey Francis Terry (8), Florence Terry (7), and Norah Mary Terry (6). They then had five servants, plus a governess. In 1911 Isabella was a widow of 78, living at a house in Bury St Edmunds named Tostock after her former home with her daughter Kathleen. She died in Suffolk at the age of 83 on 1 May 1916. Her effects came to £13,185 14s. 1d., and her executors were her son Ernest, who was a land agent, and her daughter Kathleen.