Charles Thomason THOMPSON (1812–1883)
His second wife Mrs Hannah THOMPSON, née Anderson (1823–1895)
St Giles (Ss Philip & James) section: Row 50, Grave K38

Charles Thomason Thompson

 

 

In
Loving Memory of

CHARLES THOMASON THOMPSON M.D.
DIED APRIL 14, 1883
AGED 70 YEARS

[Two lines of
biblical text]

 

 

ALSO OF HANNAH HIS WIFE
AND DAUGHTER OF
JOSEPH ANDERSON ESQ.
BORN MARCH 4, 1823
DIED SEP. 8, 1896

BLESSED ARE THE DEAD WHO DIE IN THE LORD FOR THEY REST FROM THEIR LABOURS AND THEIR WORKS DO FOLLOW THEM

 

 

Charles Thomason Thompson was born in Kolkata, West Bengal, India in 1812, the son of the Revd Marmaduke Thompson. His father returned to England and became Rector of Brightwell, Berkshire. Charles was living at Brightwell when he was awarded his Certificate of Qualification at Apothecaries' Hall on 10 October 1835, and he then studied at St Andrew's and qualified as a Doctor of Medicine. On 8 February 1844 at Saxmundham, Suffolk, Charles, described as being of Diss in Norfolk, married his first wife Emma Sarah Alston; his father conducted the ceremony, and their marriage was announced in the Ipswich Journal. Emma, who was born on 27 July 1819 at Diss in Norfolk and baptised there on 13 September, was the eldest daughter of Edward Daniel Alston, Esq. and Elizabeth Freeborn, of Palgrave, Suffolk. Their only child Emma Eliza Thompson was born at Diss, Norfolk in 1844 and baptised there on 12 December. Charles's first wife Emma died at Santa Cruz, Tenerife at the age of 26 on 25 February 1846, and her death was reported in the Ipswich Journal of 4 April 1846. At the time of the 1851 census Charles, who was not currently practising as a surgeon, was a widower of 38, living at 42 Spring Street, Paddington with his six-year-old daughter daughter Emma (wrongly recorded as Jemima) and a housekeeper and a cook.

Hannah Anderson was born at Duncan Terrace, Islington on 4 March 1823. She was the eldest daughter of the merchant Joseph Richard Anderson and Sarah Maria Allen, who were married at St Mary's Church, Islington on 21 May 1822. At the time of the 1841 census Hannah was living at Holme Villa, Marylebone with her parents and her younger sisters Sarah (10), Eliza (9), and Catherine (30); also living with them were a missionary with his wife and son and another gentleman, and they had six servants. Hannah's mother appears to have died between 1841 and 1851. At the time of the 1851 census Hannah (28) was living at the same address with her widower father Joseph (50) and her siblings Joseph (23) and Eliza (18): they now had ten servants (a housekeeper, cook, ladies' maid, kitchenmaid, butler, page, coachman, lodge-keeper, and two housemaids).

On 7 December 1854 at St James's Church, Paddington, Charles Thomason Thompson of Sussex Gardens, Hyde Park married his second wife Hannah Anderson of Regent's Park, and their marriage was announced in the Manchester Times. They had the following children:

  • Helena Augusta Thompson (born in Kensington on 22 January 1856);
    died there in 1859, reg. second quarter
  • Charles Thomason Thompson junior (born in Kensington on 20 February 1857);
    died there 1859, reg. second quarter
  • Ada Florence Thompson (born in Kensington in about October 1860)
  • Henry Raymond Thompson (born in Hanborough, Oxfordshire in 1863, but not baptised there)
  • Mabel Maud Thompson (born in Headington in 1866 and baptised at St Andrew's Church there on 22 July).

The family lived at 42 Sussex Gardens, Hyde Park, London at the start of their marriage.

On 16 March 1857 the Daily News reported that Charles Thomason Thompson together with three other men presented a petition to the Master of the Rolls for the dissolution and winding up of the Anglo-Cambrian Mineral Working Company.

In 1859 both of Charles's first two young children by his second wife died. At the end of the same year Charles's book Remarks on the treatment of consumption was published (available here as PDF): his recommended treatment involved cold baths and ice-packs.

At the time of the 1861 census Charles (48), described as a physician in practice, was living at 42 Sussex Gardens, Paddington with his wife Harriet (38) and their next daughter Ada (five months), plus his daughter (Emma) Eliza (16) from his first marriage. They employed five servants: a cook, butler, housemaid, and two nurses.

By 1863 they had moved to Hanborough in Oxfordshire, where their only son was born in 1863. By the time their youngest daughter was born in 1866, they were living at Headington near Oxford.

In 1866, as a result of his risky speculation in mining companies, Charles went bankrupt. Jackson's Oxford Journal of 15 December 1866 reports thus on proceedings in the Court of Bankruptcy, London on 30 November 1866 where he was awarded his order of discharge:

The bankrupt, Charles Thomason Thompson, described as of Headington, in the County of Oxford, Doctor of Medicine, came up and applied to pass his examination and for his order of discharge; he was adjudicated bankrupt on the 18th of September last, upon the petition of Mr. Joseph Shellabear, of Bloomfield Road, Maida Hill, merchant.

[Statement of account showing that Thompson's debts amounted to £3,488 19s. 11d., and that the property in the hands of the creditors only amounted to £200]

Mr. Munns observed that he appeared on behalf of the assignees, who did not oppose the bankrupt's passing and having an immediate order of discharge. Dr. Thompson had unfortunately entered into some speculations, and thereby got into difficulties; he was now nearly blind, and obliged to be supported by his friends being unable to follow his own profession; he had contracted no debts since 1863, and his bankruptcy was solely attributable to his having been induced to join some Mining Companies.

Dr Thompson was still listed as living in Old Headington (probably in Old High Street) in Webster's Directory for 1869, but by the time of the 1871 census he had moved to St Clement's Street in Oxford, where, aged 58 and blind, he was living with his wife Hannah (48), their daughters Ada (10) and Mabel (4), and his daughter (Emma) Eliza (26) from his first marriage. Henry (7) was probably away at school.

At the time of the 1881 census Charles (68) was living at Tyrrold, 4 Woodstock Road with his wife Hannah (58) and their daughter Ada (20), who was a governess and their son Henry (17), who was an art student, plus three boarders and two servants (a cook and a housemaid). Their youngest daughter Maud (15) was a pupil at a school for young ladies at 50 & 51 Iffley Road, Oxford.

By 1883 they had moved to Farndon Road. Charles died there that year:

† Charles Thomason Thompson died at 4 Farndon Road at the age of 70 on 14 April 1883 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 18 April (burial recorded in the parish registers of St Giles's and Ss Philip & James's Church).

His death notice in Jackson's Oxford Journal read simply: “April 14, in Farndon-road, St. Giles's, Oxford, Charles Thomason Thompson, Esq., M.D., aged 70.”

His personal estate came to £139, and his wife Hannah was his executor.

Charles and Hannah's eldest surviving daughter Ada was married in 1886:

  • On 18 December 1886 at Ss Philip & James's Church, Oxford, Ada Florence Thompson of Farndon Road married Thomas Slack, a bank manager of Bank House, Diss, Norfolk and the son of Thomas Slack senior, a sheet-lead manufacturer.

The announcement in Jackson's Oxford Journal describes her late father as having been of Sussex Gardens in Hyde Park and of Farndon Road in Oxford.

Their youngest daughter Mabel was married in 1890, again with an announcement in Jackson's Oxford Journal:

  • On 20 January 1890 at Opawa, Christchurch, New Zealand, Mabel Maude Thompson married Arthur Edward Kensington, the second son of Edward Kensington, Esq. formerly of Exeter.

Mabel remained in New Zealand with her husband and their daughter Dorothy Gladys Kensington was born at Opawa in 1890.

At the time of the 1891 census Hannah (50) was still at 8 Farndon Road with her son Henry (27), who was an artist, and her niece Mabel Buchton (21), plus three servants.

Her husband's daughter by his first wife, Emma Eliza Thompson, appears never to have married and to have died in the Bedford district at the age of 48 in 1893.

Charles and Harriet's daughter Mabel Maude Kensington died at Sumner, Christchurch, New Zealand on 16 July 1892.

Harriet herself died four years later in 1896:

† Mrs Hannah Thompson née Anderson died at 4 Farndon Road at the age of 73 on 8 September 1896 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 11 September (burial recorded in the parish registers of St Giles's and Ss Philip & James's Church).

An announcement of her death was placed in the Morning Post.


Surviving children of Charles and Hannah Anderson
  • Ada Florence Thompson, Mrs Slack (born 1860) was living at Market Hill, Diss, Norfolk in 1891 with her husband Thomas, who was still a bank manager, and their first daughter Edith (1); they employed a nurse, housemaid, and cook. In 1901 their address was more specifically given as Barclay's Bank, Market Hill, and they had two more daughters: Margaret (9) and Dorothy (8). In 1911 Ada (50) and Thomas (66) were at the same address with their three daughters. Ada died in Norfolk at the age of 58 in 1918.
  • Henry Raymond Thompson (born 1863) continued with his career as an artist, and some of his work can be seen here. In 1901 was a bachelor of 37, living at 6 Parkhill Road Studios, Hampstead. In early 1910 in the Bromley district of Kent he married Mabel Adeline Payne. At the time of the 1911 census Henry (37), who was still working as an artist, was living at Parkwood, Beckenham Grove, Shortlands, Kent with his wife Mabel (31) and their newborn son Frederick, plus a monthly nurse and a general servant. There are two other likely children registered in the Bromley district: Claude C. Thompson (1912) and Geoffrey H. Thompson (1914) Henry's wife Mabel died in Bromley in 1943 and he himself died there in 1946.

Facebook

Twitter

Please email stsepulchres@gmail.com
if you would like to add information


These biographies would not have been possible without the outstanding transcription services
provided by the Oxfordshire Family History Society

© Friends of St Sepulchre’s Cemetery 2012–2017