(William Daniel Christian) Ferdinand VON ELLRODT (1797–1873)
St Paul section: Row 14, Grave A20½ [St Paul ref. Q.11]

Grave of Von Ellrodt




FEB. 17, 1797







This is one of the terracotta gravestones in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery sculpted by Thomas Grimsley of St Giles

William Daniel Christian Ferdinand von Ellrodt (known as Ferdinand) was born in Frankfurt am Main on 17 February 1797.

He became a merchant and settled in Liverpool, but he and his business partner John Emilius Dumont went bankrupt in November 1837.

On 14 July 1835 in Manchester, William Daniel Christian Ferdinand von Ellrodt married Martha Ann Fletcher (born in London in 1811/12 and known as Ann) and they had just one child:

  • Frederick William Von Ellrodt (born in Liverpool in 1846/7).

At the time of the 1851 census Ferdinand (54) was working as a merchant's clerk and living at Ashton Street, Liverpool with his wife Ann (39) and their son Frederick (4).

By 1861 they had moved to 33 Phythian Street, West Derby: Ferdinand (64) described himself as a foreign correspondent in a merchant’s office, and his son Frederick (14) was still at school (Liverpool College). Miss Mary Fletcher (54), his wife’s elder sister and a landed proprietor, was also living with them, and they had one servant.

On 16 October 1869 Ferdinand von Ellrodt’s only son Frederick was matriculated at the University of Oxford at the age of 22 as a non-collegiate student, and he described his father as a gentleman of Liverpool. His parents must have come down to Oxford to live with him, because at the time of the 1871 census Ferdinand (a retired merchant of 74) and his wife Martha (59) were living in Walton Street with Frederick (24), who was an Oxford undergraduate. Still living with them was Martha’s sister Miss Mary Fletcher (64), and they had one servant. Both Mrs von Ellrodt and her sister were described as landowners.

Ferdinand von Ellrodt died in Oxford in 1873:

† Ferdinand von Ellrodt died at Walton Street at the age of 76 on 14 June 1873 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 18 June (burial recorded in the parish register of St Paul’s Church).

Ferdinand von Ellrodt’s son and his widow

Frederick William von Ellrodt (born 1846/7) obtained a third class in Classical Moderations in 1871 and was then awarded a scholarship by the Grocer’s Company. He was obtained a Third in Theology in 1873, and on 8 June that year was ordained at Chester Cathedral and licensed to St George’s Church, Sutton.

He was married in 1877:

  • In the fourth quarter of 1877 in Macclesfield, Frederick William von Ellrodt married Elizabeth Eleanora Sinden (born in Macclesfield in 1852/3). They had no children.

By 1878 Frederick was Curate of Crockwell Church, Bicester. His mother followed him to the area, because at the time of the 1881 census Mrs Martha Ann Ellrodt (69) was living in a separate house in Bicester (Buckingham Villa, Market End) with her sister Miss Mary Fletcher (74) and one servant.

He was appointed Curate of Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield later in 1881, and of Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire in 1886. Again his mother must have followed him, as she died at Stoney Middleton on 18 November 1892 at the age of 81 or 82.

Frederick was next appointed Curate of Ecton, Northampton, and then on 15 October 1896 Vicar of Wessington, Derbyshire. In 1901 Frederick (54) and his wife Elizabeth (48) were living at the Vicarage in Wessington, Derbyshire with one servant, and they were still there in 1911.

Frederick died at Hastings on 10 July 1913, and his effects came to £2,982 8s. 5d., and his wife Elizabeth was his executor. Elizabeth wife died in Macclesfield on 12 August 1919, and her effects came to £2,679 5s. 6d.



Please email stsepulchres@gmail.com
if you would like to add information

These biographies would not have been possible without the outstanding transcription services
provided by the Oxfordshire Family History Society

© Friends of St Sepulchre’s Cemetery 2012–2017