Henry Saunders WARLAND (1820–1909)
His wife first Mrs Ann WARLAND, née Cooper (1819–1852)
Their son Charles Cooper WARLAND (1862–1882)
St Giles section: Row 5, Grave B38
[Other side] IN MEMORY OF ANN WARLAND WHO DIED JULY 21ST, 1852
AND OF CHARLES COOPER WARLAND / DIED APRIL 11TH 1882 AGED 20 YEARS / THE YOUNGEST SON OF THE ABOVE
[Above] AND OF HENRY SAUNDERS WARLAND WHO FELL ASLEEP
MARCH 2ND, 1909 IN HIS 90TH YEAR
AT EVENING TIME IT SHALL BE LIGHT
Henry Saunders Warland was born at Hampton Poyle in 1820 and baptised there on 16 April. He was the son of the farmer John Warland of Bletchingdon and his wife Elizabeth Sellwood of Kidlington, who were married at Kidlington church on 16 April 1820. Henry had four brothers: John Warland (1818), Charles Jenkins Warland (1821), Sydney Warland (1822/3, died 1825), and Frederick Clerke Warland (1827). He is probably the Henry Warland (20), an Oxfordshire-born baker, who was lodging with the Roberts family in Little Milton in 1841. In 1846 he set up business as a grocer at the south end of the Woodstock Road in Oxford.
Ann Cooper was born in Yarnton in 1819 and baptised there on 17 February. She was the daughter of the yeoman farmer John Cooper of Yarnton and his wife Ann Creek of Lower Heyford who were married at Lower Heyford church on 8 November 1817. Her three younger siblings were also baptised at Yarnton: Hester Cooper (1820), William Cooper (1822), and John Cooper (1826, died the same year). Ann’s mother died at the age of 51 and was buried at Yarnton on 14 July 1838. At the time of the 1841 census Ann (20) was living in Yarnton with her father John Cooper, who was still farming, and her two surviving siblings. Her father died at the age of 69 and was buried at Yarnton on 11 December 1845. By 1847 Ann was living in Summertown.
On 13 December 1847 at Summertown Church, Henry Saunders Warland of St Giles’s parish in Oxford married Ann Cooper of Summertown. They had the following children:
- Sarah Warland (born at the south end of the Woodstock Road, Oxford in 1848 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 13 October)
- John Warland (born at the south end of the Woodstock Road in 1849, reg. fourth quarter)
- Ann Warland (born at the south end of the Woodstock Road in early 1851 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 7 March; died 1852)
- Ann Elizabeth Warland, later known as Elizabeth Ann (born at the south end of the Woodstock Road in 1852 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 7 July)
- Henry Warland (born at south end of the Woodstock Road in 1853 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 9 November)
- Mary Esther Warland (born at the south end of the Woodstock Road in 1856, reg. second quarter)
- Martha Warland (born at the south end of the Woodstock Road in about July 1857, reg third quarter); died 1858
- Frederick William Warland (born at the south end of the Woodstock Road, Oxford in 1858/9, reg. first quarter of 1859)
- Charles Cooper Warland (born at the south end of the Woodstock Road, Oxford in 1862, reg. third quarter).
At the time of the 1851 census Henry Warland (31), who was a grocer, and his wife Ann (31) were living at the south end of the Woodstock Road (then called St Giles’s Road West) with their first three children: Sarah (3), John (2) and Ann (six weeks). Henry’s brother Frederick was also living with them, and they had a 20-year-old housemaid and a 16-year-old nursemaid.
Their baby daughter Ann Warland died a year later at the age of 14 months and was buried in a separate grave on 9 April 1852. Their next child Ann Elizabeth Warland was born shortly after her death, followed by Mary Esther Warland in 1856 and then Martha Warland in 1857; the last died aged nine months and was buried with her sister on 22 April 1858.
At the time of the 1861 census Henry (41) described himself as a farmer as well as a grocer: his farm was in Kidlington (probably the one belonging to his parents, although they were still alive: his father died at the age of 83 in 1869, and his mother at the age of 79 in 1871). Henry and his wife were still living over their Woodstock Road shop with Sarah (12), John (11), Ann Elizabeth (8), Henry (7), Mary (4), and Frederick (2), and Henry’s brother Frederick was still living with them and working as a grocer’s assistant. The family continued to employ a nursemaid and house servant.
Mrs Ann Warland gave birth to her ninth child Charles in 1863, but died when he was only a year old:
† Mrs Ann Warland née Cooper died at their Woodstock Road home at the age of 44 on 2 July 1863 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 7 July (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
Just a year later, on 29 August 1864 at All Saints Church Birmingham, Henry Saunders Warland married his second wife, the widow Mrs Rebecca Sophia Holland, née Hamlyn, the youngest daughter of H. W. Hamlyn, Esq. of Winson Green near Birmingham, and the marriage was announced in Jackson’s Oxford Journal. For more on Rebecca’s background, see her separate grave.
Henry Saunders Warland’s seven surviving children continued to live with him and his new wife. His daughter Mary Esther Warland attended the ladies’ seminary run by the Misses Howe and Beaufoy at 60 St Giles’s Street, and was successful in the junior section of the Oxford Local Examinations in 1870, the first year that girls were admitted; and in 1871 she passed the senior examinations.
At the time of the 1871 census Henry Warland (50), still described as a farmer as well as a grocer, was living over the shop at 7 & 8 Woodstock Road with his new wife Rebecca (37) and the seven surviving children from his first marriage: Sarah (22); John (21), who was a grocer’s assistant; Ann Elizabeth (18), who was a teacher; and Henry (17), Mary (14), Frederick (12), and Charles (8), who were all at school. Also living with them were an apprentice grocer and a cook and a housemaid.
In 1872 Henry Warland was the Chairman of the Committee of the Assistants’ Early-Closing Association.
His eldest son was married in 1877:
- On 4 October 1877 at St Mary Magdalen Church, Oxford, John Warland (27), described as a wine merchant of St Giles’s parish, married Mary Carter (23), the daughter of the fishmonger John William Carter.
In 1877 a mare of Henry Saunders Warland, described as being of Oxford and Kidlington, won the first prize in Class 40 for colts at the Oxfordshire Agricultural Society Show, and second prize in the Bath & West of England Society show.
On 11 October 1879 his third son Frederick William Warland, aged 20, was matriculated at the University of Oxford as a non-collegiate student (meaning that he could continue to live at home). He gave his father’s occupation in the matriculation register as “Gentleman”, even though he was still living over the grocer’s shop that he ran.
On 23 October 1879 his daughter Mary Esther Warland assisted her music teacher Edgar Mills in a piano recital at the Holywell Music Room, and later gave many piano solos.
At the time of the 1881 census Henry (61) was described as a grocer & wine merchant and a farmer of 125 acres, employing four men, one woman, and one boy. He was living over the shop in the Woodstock Road (with the address now given as 11 St Giles Road West) with his second wife Rebecca and four of his children from his first marriage: Sarah (32); Mary (24), Frederick (22), who was still an undergraduate); and Charles (18), who was a student of music. An apprentice and a servant also lived with them.
His son Charles died in 1882, with the number of the shop now given as 11:
† Charles Cooper Warland died at 11 Woodstock Road at the age of 19 on 11 April 1882 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 14 April (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
The register notes that the burial certificate was supplied by his father. His death notice in Jackson’s Oxford Journal read: “April 11, at 11, St Giles’s Road West, Oxford, in his 20th year, Charles Cooper (Charlie), the beloved and youngest son of Henry S. Warland.”
His son Frederick was awarded his BA in 1883, and his MA in 1887.
At some point between 1881 and 1890, Henry Saunders Warland moved up to 103 Woodstock Road.
In 1890 Henry Saunders Warland went bankrupt, and there was a full report in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 8 March that year. He was described as being a grocer of 13 and 103 Woodstock Road, and also a farmer in Kidlington. His gross liabilities amounted to over £4,846, and his deficiency amounted to over £1,997. He alleged that the causes of his failure were “family losses in advances made to his brother and son at different times, and losses incurred in and about his farm”. The Official Receiver’s report stated:
This debtor tells me he started in business as a grocer, without capital, in 1846. He has for many years had a shop at 13, Woodstock-road, and for some years also had farms at Kidlington and Noke. Recently he has resided at 103 Woodstock Road. He has kept the usual business books. When he filed his petition he had two writs out against him for about 40l. and 33l. respectively. His preferential liabilities are—Three sets of rent, 95l. 15s.; rates and taxes, 11l. 16s. 8d.; and 1l. 13s. 1d. for drainage rate, due to the Thames Valley Commissioners, in respect of Kidlington Farm. I note that the debts of two large creditors for 500l. and 240l. respectively for money lent appear to be statute barred. On the other hand one of the mortgage creditors said to be fully secured may turn out not to be so. The deficiency account is made up of 107l. 12s. 3d. admitted excess of liabilities on 7th February 1889; of 210l. household expenses since then (no profit of business appears in such account); of goods supplied to his brother, Mr. John Warland, during the last 12 or 14 years, 700l.; of monies paid to his son, Mr. John Warland, about 12 or 14 years ago, 500l.; of losses incurred in farms during the last 10 or 12 years, 400l.; and of repairs and losses of rent, 80l. As to this account, I do not see that the debts from the brother or the son appear as owing and bad. But taking these as correctly stated they tend to show that debtor was largely insolvent years ago, and that actually in February 1889, his insolvency was nearer 1,700l than 160l. He does not propose to offer any composition. Owing to debtor’s illness, I was only able to obtain statement to-day.
By the time of the 1891 census John Warland (71) had retired to 31 Polstead Road in the parish of St Margaret. He was living there with his wife Rebecca and two of his daughters: Elizabeth Ann (38), who was a governess, and Mary Esther (34), who was a teacher of music. They employed a servant girl. His son Frederick (32) was a clerk in holy orders, lodging at Southfleet, Kent.
His son Frederick was married in 1895:
- Near the beginning of 1895 in the Dartford district of Kent, Frederick William Warland married Laura Pink.
At the time of the 1901 census Henry Warland (81) described himself as a retired farmer and was living at Polstead Road with his wife Rebecca and his two unmarried daughters Elizabeth (48) and Mary Esther (44), who were still working respectively as a governess and a teacher of music.
Henry’s eldest son John Warland died at the age of 57 on 7 April 1906 and was buried in the same separate grave where his two baby sisters had been buried fifty years earlier.
Henry Saunders Warland died in 1909:
† Henry Saunders Warland died at 31 Polstead Road at the age of 89 on 2 March 1909 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 4 March (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
At the time of the 1911 census his second wife Mrs Rebecca Warland (80) was living at 31 Polstead Road with her unmarried stepdaughters Elizabeth Ann (58) and Mary Esther (54), who were still working as a governess and a teacher of music.
His second wife Mrs Rebecca Sophia Warland, née Hamlyn, formerly Mrs Holland died at 31 Polstead Road at the age of 91 and was buried in the grave of her father on 5 May 1922: see separate grave.
Surviving children of Henry Saunders Warland and his first wife Ann
- Sarah Warland (born 1848) never married. In 1891 she was employed by the Warneford Lunatic Asylum in Headington as a ladies’ companion. In 1911 Sarah (62) was a patient in a nursing home in Lewisham. She died in Faversham, Kent at the age of 76 in 1923.
- John Warland (born 1849): see separate grave
- Ann Elizabeth Warland, later known as Elizabeth Ann (born 1852) is hard to trace after 1911, when at the age of 58 she was still living with her stepmother. She may be the Annie E. Warland who died in Oxford at the age of 85 in 1940, but the age is slightly wrong.
- Henry Warland (born 1853) was working as a grocer’s assistant and living at 4 Athol Road, Bromley in 1881 with Hannah Biss (30) and her daughter Henrietta Biss (10): he recorded Hannah’s surname as Warland and described her as his wife, but in fact they did not marry until 1897. In 1891 he and Hannah were living at 9 Knebworth Road, Stoke Newington with Henrietta Biss (20). He is hard to trace after that date.
- Mary Esther Warland (born 1856) never married. She is probably the Mary E. Warland who died in the Ploughley district of Oxfordshire at the age of 93 in 1950.
- Frederick William Warland (born 1858/9) and his first wife, Laura, had three children: Laura Mary Warland (1896), Frederick Leslie Warland (1898), and Margaret Edith Warland (1900). Laura died at the age of 40 just after giving birth to Margaret, and at the time of the 1901 census Frederick and the children were living at Portobello House, Fawkham Road, West Kingsdown with his father-in-law Edward Pink (73), who was a fruit and flower grower. Frederick married his second wife, Annie Allen, at St Margaret's Church, Oxford on 14 April 1903 when they were both living at 31 Polstead Road, and they had one child, Allan William Warland (born 1905). At the time of the 1911 census Frederick was the Rector of Kingsdown, living at the Rectory with his wife Annie and his daughter Margaret from his first marriage and son Allan from his second. The Revd Canon Frederick William Warland died at Norton Court, Chart Sutton, Kent on 5 August 1941 at the age of 82. His effects came to £2,443 8s. 1d., and his wife Annie was his executor.