George WYATT (1804/5–1872)
His second wife Mrs Martha WYATT née West (1814–1894)
Their married daughters Mrs Mary RADFORD, née Wyatt (1849–1891) and
Mrs Martha BURBIDGE, née Wyatt (1850–1879)
St Mary Magdalen section: Row 4, Grave C63
IN MEMORY OF / GEORGE WYATT / WHO DIED FEBRUARY 15, 1872 / AGED 67 YEARS
MARTHA WIFE OF EDWIN BURBIDGE AND DAUGHTER OF GEORGE / AND MARTHA WYATT DIED NOV. 29, 1879, AGED 29 YEARS
Other side: ALSO IN MEMORY OF MARTHA / WIDOW OF GEORGE WYATT / WHO DIED APRIL 2, 1894 / AGED 80 YEARS
MARY WIFE OF JOHN RADFORD, ELDEST DAUGHTER OF GEORGE / AND MARTHA WYATT / DIED APRIL 13, 1894, AGED 45
George Wyatt was born in 1804/5 at Robin Hood's Bay near Fylingdales, Yorkshire, the son of the stonemason Thomas Wyatt and his wife Margaret or Peggy, who was born in Aisgarth, Yorkshire in 1780/1. Their children included the following:
- George Wyatt (born in Robin Hood’s Bay, Fylingdales, Yorkshire in 1804/5)
- Elizabeth Wyatt (born at Fylingdales, Yorkshire in 1807/8)
- Thomas Wyatt (buried at St John the Baptist churchyard (Merton College Chapel) on 12 June 1811)
- Peggy Wyatt (born in Oxford in 1814 and baptised at St John’s Church (Merton College Chapel) on 3 April
- Charlotte Augusta Wyatt (born opposite Merton College in Oxford in 1817 and baptised at St John the Baptist's Church (Merton College Chapel) on 17 December 1817
- Eliza Wyatt (born opposite St Mary Magdalen Church in Oxford in 1820 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 30 June)
- Thomas Wyatt (born at Wyatt’s Yard or Row near the beginning of July 1822 and baptised the same day at St Mary Magdalen Church); died aged three days and buried in its churchyard on 8 July
His parents evidently moved down from Yorkshire to Oxford at some point between 1807 and 1811, settling first in Merton Street, opposite Merton College. (His father should not be confused with another Oxford builder called Thomas Wyatt, born in 1777, who came from an old Oxford family.)
At some point between December 1817 and June 1820 the family settled in St Mary Magdalen parish, where his father’s premises were known as Wyatt’s Yard or Row. These premises are described as being “opposite the church” in 1820, which suggests Magdalen Street, but it is possible this was a loose description of the premises behind the Taylorian that he certainly occupied later. By 1830 George’s father had died, and Pigot’s Directory that year lists George’s mother, Margaret Wyatt, as a builder of St Mary Magdalen parish.
On 13 January 1829 at St Ebbe's Church, Oxford, George Wyatt of St Mary Magdalen parish married his first wife Hannah Alder of St Ebbe’s parish. They had two children:
- Thomas Alder Wyatt (born at St John Street, Oxford in 1834/5 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 22 February 1835)
- George Wyatt (born in 1837 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 23 April); died aged ten months.
Mrs Hannah Wyatt died in 1837 at the age of 31, immediately after giving birth to her second baby. She was buried on 30 April in St Aldate’s churchyard (where her family may have had a plot), but the register states that she died at home in St Mary Magdalen parish. Her baby died aged ten months, and was buried with her on 11 March 1838.
In 1841 George Wyatt, a 35-year-old widower, was an ironmonger, living and working in Magdalen Street. His sister Elizabeth was living with him and probably looking after his son Thomas (6); he also had one servant.
Martha West, who was to become George’s second wife, was born in Westcott Barton near Bletchingdon in 1814 and baptised at Steeple Barton church on 26 September. She was the daughter of the farmer William West and his wife Sarah, who had five other children baptised at that church: William (1807), Elizabeth (1809), Richard (1811), Ann (1813), and Charles (1816).
On 25 July 1846 at Bletchingdon Church, George Wyatt, described as a widower and ironmonger of Oxford, married Martha West, and the witnesses were Isaac West, and George’s sister Charlotte Augusta Wyatt. They had the following children:
- Mary Wyatt (born at 70 St Giles’s Street, Oxford in 1849 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 17 May)
- Martha Wyatt (born at 70 St Giles’s Street, Oxford in 1850 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 31 July)
- George Wyatt (born at 70 St Giles’s Street Oxford in 1852 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 12 March);
died shortly afterwards
- William West Wyatt (born 70 St Giles’s Street in 1853 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 15 September)
- Margaret Sarah Wyatt (born at 70 St Giles’s Street in 1855 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 14 March):
died shortly afterwards
- Charles George Wyatt (born at 70 St Giles’s Street in 1857 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 29 July); died on 2 February 1859, with death announced in Jackson’s Oxford Journal
- Charlotte Ann Wyatt (born at 70 St Giles’s Street in 1859/60 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 20 January 1860).
After their marriage, the couple lived over their ironmonger’s shop at 70 St Giles’s Street (see map, left: this is one of the six houses demolished in the 1930s to make way for the northern extension of the Taylorian).
This map also shows Wyatt’s Yard, where George’s mother ran her husband’s building business: this was inherited by George on her death in 1865 and run by his son Thomas Alder Wyatt.
In 1849 George Wyatt's firm built Holy Trinity Church in Headington Quarry.
At the time of the 1851 census George (46) was described as an ironmonger employing four men and one boy and was living at 70 St Giles’s Street with his second wife Martha (36), their daughters Mary (1) and Martha (eight months), and two house servants. Meanwhile his mother Margaret, a widow of 70, was still managing the yard in Magdalen Street, and described herself as a builder and master employing twenty men. George’s unmarried sisters Charlotte (32) and Eliza (29) were still living with her.
At the time of the 1861 census George (56), described as an ironmonger employing nine men and three boys, was living at 70 St Giles’s Street with his second wife Martha (46) and their children Mary (12), William (7), and Charlotte Ann (1); their daughter Martha (10) was paying a visit to Mrs Martha Bristow, a 75-year-old widow living in Bodicote. George’s son by his first marriage, the builder Thomas Alder Wyatt (26), was also living with them.
George’s mother died at St Giles’s Street at the age of 85 in 1865 and was probably buried with her husband in St Mary Magdalen churchyard. George inherited her building business, and handed over the management of it to his son Thomas Alder Wyatt, who was married in 1866 and moved with his wife to 74 St Giles’s Street in Wyatt’s Yard nearby.
In 1869 George Wyatt rebuilt 65 & 66 St Giles’s Street, the pair of houses shown left (now part of the Ioannou Centre). He moved his ironmonger’s shop to the ground floor of No. 66 (the house on the left) in 1870,
At the time of the 1871 census George (66), who was still working as an ironmonger, was living here at No. 66 with his wife Martha (56) and his two youngest children William West Wyatt (17) and Charlotte (11).
George Wyatt only lived in this house a couple of years, as he died early in 1872:
† George Wyatt died at 67 St Giles’ Street at the age of 67 on 15 February 1872 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 20 February (burial recorded in the parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).
His effects came to under £14,000, and his executors were Moses Holliday, William George Emberlin, and his widow.
His son by his first marriage, Thomas Alder Wyatt, continued to run the building side of the business at 74 St Giles’s Street, while Mrs Martha Wyatt remained at 67 St Giles’s Street managing the ironmonger’s shop with her own son William West Wyatt. The following advertisement appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 24 February 1872 just nine days after George Wyatt’s death:
The late Mr. George Wyatt’s Business of a Builder and Ironmonger
MRS. MARTHA WYATT (the Widow of the Deceased) desires to notify that the Business of an IRONMONGER, in all its branches, will be continued by her at the Shop and Warehouses, No. 67 Saint Giles’ Street, Oxford, in co-operation with her Son WILLIAM WEST WYATT.
Three of her children were married in the 1870s:
- On 28 January 1875 at St George’s Church, Oxford (the Chapel of Ease in George Street for St Mary Magdalen Church), Mary Wyatt married John Radford, a farmer of Kiddington, and the marriage was announced in Jackson’s Oxford Journal;
- On 16 January 1877 at St Mary Magdalen Church, Oxford, Martha Wyatt married Edwin Burbidge, a chemist of 118 High Street, Oxford, and the marriage was announced in Jackson’s Oxford Journal.
- On 22 August 1878 at Long Compton, Warwickshire, William West Wyatt married Edith Wheeler, the only daughter of the late James Wheeler of Weston Mill, and the marriage was announced in Jackson’s Oxford Journal.
In 1879 her married daughter Martha Burbidge died, and Mrs Wyatt took over the care of her two daughters, one of whom died the following year (see below for more on the Burbidges).
At the time of the 1881 census Mrs Wyatt (67), described as an ironmonger, was living at 67 St Giles Street with her daughter Charlotte (21), her granddaughter Ada Burbidge (3), and a cook and housemaid.
Her daughter Charlotte was married in 1881:
- On 1 October 1881 at St Mary Magdalen Church, Charlotte Ann Wyatt (21) married John William Hill (30), a chemist and dentist of West Ham
Charlotte Ann Hill died at the age of 27 at St John’s Wood, London on 7 November 1886, and her death was announced in Jackson’s Oxford Journal.
In 1891 Mrs Wyatt (77) had retired and was living on her own means at 67 St Giles Street with Ada Burbidge (13) and two servants. She died in 1894:
† Mrs Martha Wyatt née West died at 67 St Giles’s Street at the age of 80 on 2 April 1894 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 6 April (burial recorded in the parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).
Her death announcement in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 7 April 1894 read simply: "April 2, at her residence, 67, St. Giles’, Oxford, Martha, widow of the late George Wyatt." Her effects came to £1,599 9s. 4d., and probate was granted to her son William West Wyatt, who was described as a builder and architect. Less than a fortnight after her burial, her eldest daughter Mrs Mary Radford (see below) was buried with her.
The contents of her house were sold by auction by J.R. Mallam and son on the premises. The following notice published in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 21 April 1894, just nineteen days after her death, gives a picture of how her house had been furnished:
67, ST. GILES’S STREET, OXFORD
THOROUGHLY GOOD AND SUPERIOR HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE,
Including Ebonized and Inlaid Winged China Cabinet, Alabaster and other Statuettes; Tazza, Doulton, and other Vases; Cottage Pianoforte by Oetzmann, Drawing and Dining Room Suites in Walnut and Mahogany; superior Brussels, Kidderminster, and other Carpets and Rugs; Mahogany Sideboard, with Plate-glass Back; antique 4-fold Painted Screen, Antique High-backed and other Occasional Chairs, Oak Chefoniere with Bookcase Top, Carved-oak and other Occasional Writing Tables, Antique Walnut Writing Table, Set of Mahogany Dining Tables, Plated Goods, China and Glass, Pictures, Oil Paintings, Photographs, Engravings, Books, &c.; Old Oriental Vases and Plates; Old Wedgwood, Chelsea, and other Rare China, &c. &c.; Bedsteads, Bedding, Mahogany and Ash Bed Room Furniture, and Miscellaneous Effects.
William West Wyatt then moved into his mother’s house with his wife and children.
Mary Wyatt (born 1849), Mrs Radford, eldest daughter of George & Martha Wyatt
Mary went to live in Kiddington with her farmer husband John Radford, and they had the following children:
- William George Wyatt Radford (born in Kiddington in 1875/6 and baptised there on 2 January 1876)
- John Radford (born in Kiddington on 22 April 1878 and baptised there on 9 June):
died aged one and buried there on 6 February 1880
- Daisy Radford (born in Kiddington on 13 February 1880 and baptised there on 14 March)
- Samuel Radford (born in Kiddington in 1882 and baptised there on 11 June)
- Mary Radford (born in Croughton, Northamptonshire in 1884/5).
In 1881 Mary Radford (31) was living at Home Farm, Kiddington with her husband John Radford (35), who was a farmer of 279 acres who employed five men and three boys, and their children William and Daisy, plus a servant.
By 1891 they had moved to Manor Farm in Main Street, Croughton, which was near Brackley in Northamptonshire.
Three years later Mary died (just two weeks after the death of her mother: see below), and her body was brought back to Oxford to be buried in the same grave:
† Mrs Mary Radford née Wyatt died at Croughton, Northamptonshire (near Banbury) at the age of 45 on 13 April 1894 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 18 April (burial recorded in the parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).
Her effects came to £2,000 14s.1d., and her executors were her husband John Radford, her brother William West Wyatt, and the farmer William James Hirons.
Martha Wyatt (born 1850), Mrs Burbidge, second daughter of George & Martha Wyatt
Martha went to live with her husband Edwin Burbidge over his chemist's shop, and they had two children there:
- Ada Burbidge (born at 118 High Street, Oxford In 1878 and baptised at All Saints' Church on 12 May)
- Ethel Burbidge (born at 118 High Street, Oxford in 1879 and privately baptised by All Saints' Church on 26 April).
Martha Burbidge died in Kiddington in November 1879:
† Mrs Martha Burbidge née Wyatt died at Kiddington at the age of 29 on 29 November 1879 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 1 December (burial recorded in the parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).
Her little girls, Ada (2) and Ethel (eight months) were taken in by her mother Mrs Wyatt. Baby Ethel Burbidge died at St Giles’s Street less than four months after her mother at the age of eleven months and was buried on 18 March 1880.
The two surviving children of George Wyatt
- Thomas Alder Wyatt (born 1834/5) was his only child by his first marriage: see separate grave.
- William West Wyatt (born 1853) was his only surviving child by his second marriage. At the time of the 1881 census William (27) described himself as an ironmonger employing eight men and four boys and was living at Canterbury in Kingston Road with his wife Edith and their children Edith (1) and the new baby George. By 1891 they had moved to 39 Wellington Square. Following his mother’s death in 1894 he moved into her house at 67 St Giles’s Street, and thereafter described himself as a builder as well as an ironmonger. He was still there in 1901, but by 1911 he and his wife had moved to Stroud Croft in Eynsham: their son George was already dead. William West Wyatt was living at 98 Woodstock Road in 1915. He was living at 119 Woodstock Road when he died at the Acland Home at the age of 63 on 4 April 1919.His effects came to £84,289 15s. 5d., and his wife Edith was his executor.